U.S. Catholic Bishops Statement regarding the Sanctuary Movement
We urge every faith community, including every Catholic parish, to declare themselves a sanctuary for people facing deportation and those being targeted based on religion, race or political beliefs. Being a sanctuary can include hosting families at risk of deportation, accompanying people from detention, holding Defend Your Rights trainings and organizing rapid response teams.
As Pope Francis has said to us:” Who is this inn keeper? It is the church, the Christian community, people of compassion and solidarity, social organizations. It is us; it is you, to whom the Lord Jesus daily entrusts those who are afflicted in the body and spirit, so that we can continue pouring out all of his immeasurable mercy and salvation upon them.”
- No one with a criminal record and/or trying to evade the law on criminal charges will be housed in sanctuary
- Lawyers, with expertise in Immigration Law, will be assisting in sanctuary housing
- You are not breaking the law by providing a safe place for those facing deportation
- Holy Name is a Second Level Sanctuary; and we will collect and supply the items listed below. Please put your (NEW, NEVER USED, PLEASE) donated items in the bin labeled “Sanctuary” located in the Sacristy.
- Twin size sheets
- Twin size blankets
- Coloring books and crayons
- Children’s books (gently used will be accepted)